Director of Spa
Primary Objective Of Position
The below Job Description describes the general nature and level of work being performed by person/people assigned to this job. It is not an exhaustive list of responsibilities, and it is subject to changes and exceptions at the discretion of supervisors.
The person in this position must live the Amrit culture of Personalize Wellness and embody the Amrit brand at its highest level. This person is looked to as the example of the best purveyor of the Amrit Ocean Resort and Residences’ own identity. Must have leadership qualities and lead by example by consistently portraying the Amrit corporate culture: leading with a servant’s heart. Amrit has created and filed for patent of its unique Personalize Wellness Support System (“PWSS”) with touch points to inspire its Guest/Customers to prioritize his/her well-being.
Takes ownership of their leadership/management roll:
- By utilizing their excellent knowledge of the spa industry to drive excellence in the spa experience for everyone-guests, staff and all Amrit team members.
- Applying their leadership, management, and business skills to increase the business.
- Keeping up on latest trends by reading trade publications and studying outside education on a regular basis
- Being a role model to all staff and team members
- By always portraying a polished, professional image and always conveying grace and dignity.
First and foremost, manage the preopening critical path to ensure all tasks are completed prior to opening.
- Part of preopening team which will be interviewing hiring and training preopening staff for spa, fitness, and wellness departments. This includes working with HR to create training calendars and working with engineering on preopening punch lists.
- Part of preopening team which will ensure seamless delivery, installation and inventorying and merchandizing of all supplies (back bar and retail) for spa, salon and retail.
- Upon opening, lead and Inspire the Spa Treatment Manager, Fitness Manager, Salon, Retail and Hydrothermal areas of this 100,000 square foot facility. This includes reservations and reception team.
- Manage the financial stability of the spa including revenues, costs of goods, inventory, budgeting, forecasting and yield management of business.
- Monitor the spa budget and assure expenditures and related spending are in alignment.
- To ensure the experience for both guests and staff of the spa is of the highest caliber.
Description of Duties:
- Ensure that the spa operates within Amrit’s profitability objectives.
- Maintain the spa’s annual budget, within the guidelines as approved.
- Use information from financial reports for spotting trends, measuring productivity and monitoring progress.
- Control ongoing service and product margin analysis to ensure profitability.
- Identify opportunities for managing operational costs and increasing the bottom line.
- Create the procedures for accurate inventory control and monitoring.
- Ensure the implementation of full Spa product and service purchasing standards and ensure compliance.
- Administer staff and client scheduling for maximum revenue generation and profitability.
- Create the Spa Standard Operation Procedure Manual (SOP) and ensure staff compliance with all SOP’s.
- Manage final edits of Spa collateral, documentation, and process handling requirements.
- Support the Amrit Leadership in staff meetings to keep staff up to date on all aspects of the Spa and Resort’s operation as applicable.
- Ensure that all areas of the spa–such as reservations, retail, restaurant, spa services, salon, housekeeping, and maintenance consistently meet Amrit’s standards.
Staffing and HR
- Support the Recruitment System for effective recruiting, screening, interviewing and hiring. For preopening this could include conducting hundreds of interviews for around 100 positions.
- Post opening, maintain internal staff retention programs.
- Support ongoing skills training to ensure service standards are being upheld.
- Monitor and support Staff Goals.
- Perform Staff Evaluation Reports with proposed action plans.
- Effectively administer and monitor Staff Scheduling procedures.
- Demonstrate an exceptional level of professionalism for the staff to emulate.
- Create a motivating environment for staff.
- Implement and enhance the Spa’s Marketing & PR Strategy in alignment with the overall Resort/PR team and ensure consistent branding is being portrayed.
- Be proactive to identify publicity opportunities and effectively supporting the Amrit Leadership with media.
- Create grand opening promotions and activities to stimulate sales, staff, and customers.
- Possess and maintain the best knowledge of systems of the spa and the spa industry and guide business decisions by staying on top of Spa industry trends.
- Ensure that all services that are offered on the Spa Menu are available for guests.
- Maintain an intimate knowledge of the Spa Menu and the details of each experience offered.
- Ensure the Spa is always staged for maximum guest impact.
- Anticipate, identify, and ensure customer needs are being met in an upscale luxury environment.
- Monitor customer satisfaction with surveys, focus groups and comment cards.
- Deliver credible, competitive, value-added service to the customer.
- Guide staff to become caring problem solvers, cooperative, accommodating, and fair.
- Exhibit a professional attitude, diplomacy, and an ability to handle difficult situations.
- Uphold gracious front desk procedures in the booking and handling of customers.
- Maintain fresh, effective programs to consistently retain and grow customer base.
- Maintain compensation guidelines for customer complaint handling.
All other duties as assigned.
- Responsible for managing the operations and financial stability of the spa.
- Responsible for monitoring the spa budget and assuring expenditures are in alignment
- Guest contact: involving the utmost in ethics and confidentiality.
- Team member contact: involving the utmost in consistency and professionalism.
Education Minimum Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree in business, Hospitality Management, or related field preferred
- Eight+ years previous management experience within the luxury hotel/resort/spa industry.
- Excellent communication, leadership, and organization skills.
- Strong client service and problem-solving abilities.
- Financially oriented and proactive.
- Strong computer experience.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including evenings, weekends and holidays.